Friday, October 7, 2011

Sugar Free–Day One

I’ve decided that it’s time to get serious –seriously. I wake up thinking about my weight, I go to bed lamenting about my weight. Whether you have five or fifty unwanted pounds, I know you get it. I think Oprah said it best: “after all these years, I can’t believe I’m still talking about this.” “This”, of course, being her weight. One of the richest and most powerful women in the world, and even she can’t get a grip.

Why am I blogging about this? I’m really not sure. It’s a deeply personal battle – one that has been going on for most of my adult life. I don’t think I’ve ever been comfortable with my body. It’s sad – I look at old pictures and want to scream at my young self “why are you wearing that baggy sweatshirt?!” If I had that body now, I promise I would appreciate it more. Really.

I’ve been on Weight Watcher’s since March and I’ve lost 19 lbs. I know, “great job!” Um, did you hear me? I said since March. That’s 8 months! I should be at my goal, but like Oprah, I’m still talking about it. The thing is, I know it works so I’m going to stick with it. And I’m actually going to follow the plan – every day. I’ve also come realize that sugar is a huge trigger for me. No, I’m not sitting around eating cake all day, but I do like some sort of sweet at some point during most days. The thing is, it tastes good but it almost always makes me feel crappy. And it makes me want more. So, I’ve decided to eliminate sugar from my diet until Christmas. I’m normally not a fan of any sort of deprivation, but I think this will be good for me. Call it a sugar detox.

Today was my first no-sugar day. I have a screamin’ headache, but I will not cave. I have the Def Leppard song “Pour Some Sugar on Me” stuck in my head. Coincidence? I think not.

So, if you’d like, you can follow me on my journey. Comment if you’d like, or not. I will post as the need arises and keep you updated on my quest. Wish me luck and say a prayer!



2 comments:

  1. You go, Angela!

    I hear you loud and clear and understand exactly what that's like. I will definitely support you and wish you well. Perhaps adding some exercise might speed things along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exercise? What a concept.:) It is the bain of my existence, but definitely on my to-do list. Thanks for the encouragement!

    @my life is a mosaic...

    ReplyDelete